Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Why Crashing a Ghanaian Wedding is a Good Idea

I don't think I can count the amount of marriage proposals Shelby and I have gotten since being here in Ghana... it's basically a daily occurance.

Typical conversation with random people we meet on the street:
Ghanaian: "Heyyy Eta Sain???" (How are you?)
Me: "oh Boko pahh" (I'm super chill)
Ghanaian: (in english) "You are so beautiful, I will marry you"
Me as I start to walk away quickly: "Oh so sorry I don't understand you"
... yep its the good life. Even today at work Shelby and I were in a precarious situation to give out our contact info. The clear answer was to give the man the BYU Police number. Hopefully he won't be too disappointed.

Saturday, we had the opportunity to go to a Ghanaian wedding! Dont worry it wasnt mine. A doctor that we worked with in Accra, Ernest, told us he was going to a wedding near us and said he could pick us up! It was one of Ernest's best friends from University that was getting married. Apparently the two biggest events in any community here are weddings and funerals, and everyone gets involved. Basically  just imagine a huge, extravagant party. On Friday is when their traditional Ghanaian ceremony happened, but on Saturday is the more western white wedding. We were in a big church complete with two choirs, a live band, and a whole lot of dancing people singing praises to God Almighty. Twice everyone had to get in a Congo line to dance to the front to give an  offering and then dance back to their seats. I loved it. They had wedding party pictures outside the church afterwards which we of course got in.

As if that wasn't extravagant enough, the reception was wild. You could tell that the couple getting married had money because everything was super fancy. Ernest was a champaign popper which was really funny to see. Also most of the "champaign" was actually just sparkling grape juice so it was fun to join the toasts as well. Between events the DJ played hard core dance music in which I took the opportunity to dance my heart away. Everytime we obrunee (white people) danced, everyone went crazy and filmed us. I know for a fact the wedding photographer has so many random pictures of my great American dance moves. I just keep imagining this couple in like 30 years looking through their pictures and seeing two random white girls that they do not know at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment