Sunday, June 11, 2017

In Order to be Ghanaian You Must Look Like One

In order to become completely Ghanaian I had to make a few changes... 

First thing I need to dress as they dress here. When packing I was focused on bringing the most lightweight, inexpensive clothing possible. This is mainly because I knew we would be dying in the heat and working in the slums. And for these reasons I feel super grungy looking all the time. And in comparison to the fun bright dresses that Ghanaians wear, I probably am under dressed. I had bought cloth in the markets in Accra and had the opportunity to tailor them into dresses! There are sewing shops everywhere which was very convenient and cheap.

Part 2 of looking like a Ghanaian is having your hair done like one. I threw caution to the wind and decided to get box braids! It was an insane process. I had to go buy 3 bags of super long rapunzel hair and sit patiently for 2 hours as 4 Ghanaians proceeded to braid it all into my head. I don't think I've ever felt cooler though. Most people were fascinated by my normal blonde hair, but now they can't get over the fact that my hair is like theirs. They love it, I love it, not sure if I can show up to the MTC like this but oh well.

Pictures:
1. I woke up super early to watch the sunrise from an abandoned skyscraper...highly recommended
2. Before the braids
3. After!
4. The lady who owned the shop
5. Shelby and I rocking our dresses








No comments:

Post a Comment